I discovered this recipe while searching for low-calorie meals but this recipe is also low-fat and low-carb!! Thankfully, this recipe is far from being low on flavour. It is soooo good and only 200 calories per serving! The balsamic vinegar, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and herbs make this meal aromatic, savory, and full of robust flavour. It has become one of our favourite meals and it's on weekly rotation. Now that's saying something because at the moment all our other favourites are on a 2-3 week rotation. This meal also gets better overtime. So make sure there are leftovers because you might enjoy this dish more the second time around.
I hope you find time to make some Balsamic Chicken this week...I know I will!
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts. (We eat half a breast each and save the other half for left-overs)
- ground black pepper
- sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1. Season chicken breasts with ground black pepper and sea salt. Heat olive oil on medium heat in a medium skillet. Brown the onion, garlic and seasoned chicken breasts. Watch carefully so the garlic and onion don’t burn.
2. Pour tomatoes and balsamic vinegar over chicken, and season with basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme. Simmer until chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear with a pot lid on, about 15 minutes.
3. If sauce is still watery/thin remove the lid for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
4. Serve over yummy brown basmati rice.