This sauce totally makes that dish. I wasn't lying when I said I could eat it with a spoon, because I have, on multiple occasions.
This sauce is super quick and easy to make and uses basic ingredients. I recommend making this ahead of time as prepping and rolling the enchiladas can be quite time consuming. Just throw all the ingredients together in a sauce pan, simmer, cool, and place in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. If you want to keep it longer just freeze it! Freezers are awesome aren't they?!
- 1 can (regular sized approx. 12-15 oz) of crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 4 tbsp of chili powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp of onion salt
- 1 tsp of cumin
- Heat oil in a sauce pan and add the flour and chili powder. Sir until a lump free paste is formed.
- Add all other ingredients and stir until sauce starts to bubble. Reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Simmer for 15 mins until the sauce has slightly thickened.
- If the sauce is too thick then add more water.