Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Healthy Egg Salad Sandwich

Healthy Egg Salad Sandwich
An egg salad sandwich is not something I make often. I'm more of a tuna, turkey, or peanut butter girl. Occasionally I will have an egg salad craving and today was one of those days.

We are a mayo-free household. I try to cut down on as many bad fats and sugars as I can and removing mayo from our diets was so easy and pain free, we don't miss it at all. There are so many substitutes for mayo out there and other ways to enhance flavour without adding calories.

I use low-fat or non fat sour cream to replace mayo in sandwiches. You still get great creamy texture and flavor. I first started making our sandwiches mayo-free in secret. After weeks of,  "Yum! This is good!" I finally built up the courage to reveal my secret. The reaction I received wasn't the horror I dreaded or even the praise I hoped for. I got complete and utter apathy..."No mayo? That's nice. Can you pass the pickles?".

So hopefully I can get a few others as jazzed about ending their relationship with mayonnaise as I am, and I believe this simple recipe is the way to do it.

The sweet pickles are the true stars in this sandwich, they compliment the egg mixture so well. And when you sandwich them between two slices of lightly toasted American Sandwich Bread, you have egg salad perfection!


Healthy Egg Salad Sandwich
by Kaitlyn Vriezen

Ingredients:
  • 3 hard-boiled eggs
  • 2 tbsp of low-fat sour cream (or less!)
  • dash of your favourite mustard
  • 1 tbsp of sweet relish
  • sea salt and ground pepper
  • sweet pickle chips
Directions:
  1. Mash the eggs and mix the sour cream, mustard and relish with the eggs
  2. Season to taste with sea salt and ground pepper.
  3. Spread on lightly toasted bread and top with sweet pickle chips.