Saturday, March 5, 2011

Slow Cooker Venison Chili

Slow Cooker Venison Chili
I love gamey wild meats. It is physically impossible for me to pass up lamb when it's on a menu. I can't get enough of it! The same goes for duck, bison, venison, or even kangaroo! Unfortunately, my extreme love of wild meats is counteracted by my boyfriends extreme dislike of wild meats. So wild meats are left off our grocery list, leaving me to enjoy them when we go out to eat.

Fortunately for me, our neighbor is a hunter and he very kindly supplied me with some venison sausage and one pound of ground venison. The sausage is for me to savor whenever my boyfriend is out of town however the ground venison is way too much for me to consume myself.  So I decided to make something with the ground venison that we would both love. I decided on chili.

It worked perfectly! The strong spice and garlic from the chili hid the gamey flavor just enough that my boyfriend enjoyed it. I really liked this chili as well. Using the diced tomato with sweet onions added a sweetness to this chili that was refreshingly different.

I will definitely be making this chili again. It was both delicious and healthy, a win-win situation! I love those kinds of dinners. :)

Slow Cooker Venison Chili
by Kaitlyn Vriezen

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound of ground venison
  • 1 tbsp of yellow mustard
  • 1 tbsp of canola oil (optional)
  • 1 tbsp of garlic powder
  • 1/2  large onion medium-diced (or 1 whole medium-small onion)
  • 1 can of tomato paste (or 1/2 cup ketchup)
  • 1 15 oz can of diced tomato with sweet onion (or 1 can plain diced tomato)
  • 1 15oz can of kidney beans 
  • 4 cloves of garlic whole or coarsely chopped
  • 3 tbsp of chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp of red chili flakes (use more if you want it spicy or omit if you want it mild)
Directions:
  1. Brown the venison in a medium sized frying pan with mustard, garlic powder and optional canola oil. Use a wooden spoon the break up the meat into small pieces.
  2. Once the venison is nearly cooked, add the diced onion and continue to cook until the onion is fragrant and just starting to turn translucent. Remove frying pan from heat and set aside.
  3. Add the venison mixture and all remaining ingredients to the bowl of your slow cooker. Mix together thoroughly.
  4. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.
  5. Serve with cornbread muffins.