Thursday, March 3, 2011

Vegetable Pork Pad Thai

Pork shoulder is Gods-gift to budget-wise foodies. Not only can you buy a fifteen pound bag of it at Costco for $30.00 (that you can cut and divide up into smaller portions), but a five pound piece can offer up numerous meals. I used the last remnants of a pork shoulder I cooked over a week ago to make Vegetable Pork Pad Thai. This was meal six from one five pound piece of pork!!

I use lots of veggies in my Pad Thai. This goes against Thai tradition but I think the addition of vegetables turns this typical appetizer into a healthy well balanced meal. Also, using cooked pork turns this into a quick 30 minute meal!

Vegetables simmering in the wok

Preferred Pad Thai Sauce
FYI: I used packaged Pad Thai sauce. Yes, I know that I should be making everything from scratch and I do, with the exception of: curry pastes, chicken stock, condensed soup, canned tomato, rice noodles, and Pad Thai sauce. I have tried making some of these items from scratch and not only was I disappointed with the outcome, I was also disappointed with the price. At our local restaurant supply store I can buy 26oz buckets of Pad Thai sauce and curry paste for $3.99! I cannot, no matter how hard I try, make it for less. The amount of peppers and spices I would need would take me way over the $3.99 mark.

So here is my recipe for Vegetable Pork Pad Thai using packaged Pad Thai sauce.  After trying it I think you'll agree that there should always be room for some exceptions to a rule. :)

*Recipe notes:
-I use the liquid sauce that comes in a bucket or a jar, as I think the powdered versions are just gross. A Taste of Thai is my preferred brand.
-You can substitute any or all of the vegetables. Use the left over scraps of vegetables in your fridge!

Vegetable Pork Pad Thai


Vegetable Pork Pad Thai
by Kaitlyn Vriezen


Ingredients:
  •  1 cup of Pad Thai Sauce 
  • 1/2 a 16oz package of flat medium-small width rice noodles
  • 2 eggs scrambled with some sesame oil
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1tbsp of canola oil
  • 1/2 pound to a pound of cooked shredded pork shoulder
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 1/2 sweet bell pepper, sliced
  • 5 shoots of asparagus, diced
  • 1/2 cup of broccoli, chopped
  • 1/2 chopped peanuts
  • 4 scallions, chopped
  • *optional 1 1/2 cups of bean sprouts (I never buy them as they spoil so quickly) 
Directions:
  1. Boil the rice noddles for 5 minutes. Remove from hot water and rise with cold water to prevent them from continuing to cook. Cut up noodles to desired length using kitchen shears.
  2. Heat up sesame oil and canola oil in a wok or large deep frying pan
  3. Add vegetables and cook for 5 minutes on medium-low heat. 
  4. Add pork to the vegetables and cover with a large pot lid. Simmer for 3 minutes
  5. Once pork and vegetables are tender, add the rice noodles, Pad Thai sauce, peanuts, and scrambled eggs.  Toss to coat evenly. Simmer for another 3 minutes. I usually do this with the pot lid on.
  6. At this point you can add more Pad Thai sauce if you need it or garnish with scallions and bean sprouts and a few whole peanuts. 
  7. Serves 4