Monday, April 4, 2011

Oat Fudge Bars

Oat Fudge Bars
I haven't made this recipe since Christmas and this picture is from a year ago but I've had a few requests for this recipe so I'm posting it :-)

This recipe is a favourite for parties, get-togethers, and potlucks of all sorts. I make these more in the summer because they are an easy mess-free dessert that packs up perfectly for road-trips or picnics.

This recipe is not my own creation and unfortunately I can't credit any one because I have long since lost the original. I initially discovered this recipe online after a serious Starbucks Oat-Fudge Bar craving. I was in southern Oregon at the time and apparently southern Oregon Starbucks' don't carry Oat-Fudge Bars and the employees stare at customers who ask for them like they are crazy:

Me: "No I'm not delusional. I've ordered them many times before".
Confused male barista:"From Starbucks?"
Me:"Yes from Starbucks!"
Confused male barista: ....
Me: *sigh*

So it was the absence of Oat-Fudge Bars in my new life that forced me to make my own. Enjoy!

Oat Fudge Bars

Ingredients for Oatmeal Crust:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups quick cooking oatmeal.

Ingredients for Fudge-Filling:
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk (15 oz.)
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions:
·        Preheat oven to 325.
·        Grease and flour a 10×15 jelly roll pan.
·        In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
·        In a large mixing bowl, beat together softened butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
·        Add eggs, one at a time and beat until combined. Add vanilla and mix well.
·        Slowly add the sifted flour mixture and mix until combined. Stir in oatmeal.
·        Gently spread 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Reserve the rest for topping.

Making the filling:
·    Over Medium-Low heat, melt together chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, 2 tablespoons butter, and salt. Stir until smooth.
·     Remove mixture from heat and stir in vanilla.
·     Evenly pour filling mixture over the crust but keep the filling about a 1/4 inch away from the side of the pan so it does not stick to the pan while baking.
·     Evenly drop the remaining oat mixture on top of filling. (I like to flatten the oat mixture with my hands and strategically place it instead of 'dropping it') Bake for 25-30 minutes or until topping is light brown and fudge layer is set but not solid. Don’t over bake these bars or they can become dry.

*Cool in pan on rack until set. You can chill them if you need them to set up faster.
*Keep stored in an airtight container either room temp or in the fridge.