|Amish White Bread|
Honestly it was hard to work up the motivation to go out and look for another sandwich bread recipe because I like my first find, American Sandwich Bread, so much! Fortunately, or not so fortunately if you are writing an ongoing series on sandwich bread, this recipe is really good too.
Firstly, the dough is soooo soft and easy to work with. Love! Secondly, the crumb is soft and more open making the bread less dense than the American Sandwich Bread recipe. Thirdly, the crust is super soft and chewable. So it ticks all the boxes! The only downside I could find was that this recipe didn't rise as high as the American Sandwich Bread, making for slightly smaller slices of bread. I've only tried it once so when I try it again I'll see if it was me or simply the recipe.
*Recipe note: The sugar required in this recipe is rather significant. I simply halved the amount required and used Agave nectar instead. Agave is sweeter than sugar so you can use less of it. Plus its all natural. Double win!
|Amish White Bread all sliced up.|
Amish White Bread
adapted from Allrecipes.com
2 cups warm water
2/3 cup white sugar or 1/3 cup of agave nectar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup canola oil
6 cups bread flour or whole wheat AP flour
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the sugar and the yeast with the warm water and stir together. Wait about 5 minutes or until the yeast sugar mixture becomes frothy.
- Add the salt and oil into the yeast mixture.
- Mix in flour one cup at a time to the mixture using the beater attachment. When the dough becomes thick switch to the dough hook attachment. Kneed for 5-8 min. Form into a ball and place in a large oiled bowl. Turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two prepared 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on a rack.