|Baked Sweet Potato|
Seeing them at Costco made me remember a yummy way I like to eat sweet potatoes...
You can dress them the same as regular baked potatoes with sour cream, chives, bacon bits etc. But because they are sweet potatoes you have even MORE options! How about maple syrup, cinnamon and pecans? Or a sprinkle of chili powder, garlic and cumin topped with black beans, sour cream and salsa? You have so many possibilities!
|Baked Sweet Potato with scallions and cottage cheese|
I love the chili powder/black bean combination. But I also love plain and simple sliced scallions with cottage cheese. It's a healthy snack or light dinner, that tastes good and you can feel good about eating.
And at .70 cents a pound, it's a dinner that's easy on your wallet too!
Baked Sweet Potatoes
by Kaitlyn Vriezen
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Scrub desired amount of sweet potatoes and place on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake for 30 - 45 minutes. The orange variety take less time in the oven. The white variety are firmer and closer to a classic potato in texture. They will probably require the full 45 minutes.
- After cooked, remove from oven and slice open the skin length wise. Let the steam escape for a few minutes while you prepare your chosen toppings.
- Once the potato has cooled a bit lightly mash the inside flesh with a fork a few times. Add toppings, seasonings first - mixing into the flesh. Then add everything else with syrup, sauces, cheese, or sour cream last.
- This is great pared with a crisp side salad.
- Grab a fork and dig in!