Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Maple Orange Ginger - Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Maple Orange Ginger - Mashed Sweet Potatoes
We love sweet potatoes! They are so yummy and good for you too.

I've been in a bit of a rut in preparing them though. I've been so focused on fine-tuning my sweet potato fries recipe that I've been using up all our sweet potatoes for that task. I just recently bought a new box and decided to take a break from fries and try some good'ole mashed sweet potatoes. I found this awesome recipe while perusing foodgawker and had to try it! I was so pleased with the results. The maple syrup, orange juice and ground ginger made this dish refreshingly different and super delicious. We finished the whole bowl and licked our plates too!

This is a perfect side dish for steak, grilled chicken, turkey or roast meat of any variety. Definitely don't make this if you want a platform for some gravy though...me thinks that would taste pretty nasty!

So whip this dish up and serve it now, remembering you don't need to wait until fall to cook some sweet potatoes.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes
from Slice of Feist

Ingredients:

  1. 3 sweet potatoes 
  2. 4 tbsp butter
  3. 1 tsp orange zest (I omitted this as I had no oranges)
  4. 2-3 tbsp of maple syrup
  5. 1/4 cup milk (I used soy)
  6. 1/4 cup orange juice
  7. 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  8. salt to taste
Directions:
  1. Cook the sweet potatoes. I scrub them, pierce them with a fork all over and then cook them on my potato setting in my microwave. I then remove the potatoes and slice open their skin length-wise to let the steam escape. After they are cooled enough to handle I peel off the skin. If the potatoes are cooked properly the skin pulls right off!
  2. Add your peeled potatoes to the bowl of your stand mixer with the beater attachment. Mash up the potatoes (I use my mixer because they mash easier but you can do it by hand). 
  3. Add all the ingredients to the still warm, mashed sweet potatoes and mix. Add the salt to taste.
  4. My mixture ended up getting a little cold by the time I had mixed and added all the ingredients. So right before I served it I warmed in the microwave on high for 2 minutes.