Saturday, June 25, 2011

Kaitlyn's Healthy Granola Bars

Kaitlyn's Healthy Granola Bars
I love making granola bars. They are so expensive in stores which makes me happy because I can make delicious bars at home with natural ingrendients for pennies.

What I have discovered is that recipes for homemade chewy-style (my favourite) granola bars are packed with sugar and fat. Even if the honey is raw and peanut butter all natural, a cup of each is a whole lot of calories!

So I've experimented and I have come up with my own recipe that cuts the sugar and fat in half!

So far I've had no complaints about the reduced amount of sugar. Frankly, as healthy as they are, they are super delicious! Try the recipe as is and increase the amount of sugar if you find the bars too savory.

Kaitlyn's Healthy Granola Bars

Kaitlyn's Healthy Granola Bars
by Kaitlyn McFadden

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups of rolled oats
  • 1 cup of whole wheat AP flour
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of wheat germ/oat bran or just ground up rolled oats
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup of raisins, chopped dried plums, chopped apricots or whatever you like.
  • 1/4 cup of agave (It's sweeter than honey so I am able to use this amount. If you want to use honey you may need to add more depending on your taste and how sweet you like it)
  • 1/4 cup of canola oil
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 cup mashed banana or unsweetened applesauce. I like to do a batch of each and mix the finished bars together. The banana and applesauce lend mild but different flavours and look the same. I love biting into a bar, not knowing what flavour I'm going to get...it keeps things interesting. :)
    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350F
    2. Mix dry ingredients together including the dried fruit. Chopped dried plums tend to stick together, so at this point I pull them apart by hand and mix them into the flour mixture by hand. When the pieces of plum are coated in flour they don't stick together. 
    3. Add all of the wet and mix together until all the batter is moist.
    4. Line a 9X13 inch baking dish with parchment paper and spread granola batter evenly. Press down with your palm to make a smooth surface and smooth edges.
    5. Bake for 30 mins or until edges start to brown. Remove from oven and cool before placing on a cutting board. Slice into desired shape and size. 
    Kaitlyn's Healthy Granola Bars