Thursday, July 14, 2011

Applesauce Cake

Applesauce Cake
I recently bought a giant can of unsweetened applesauce with the intent to use it to bake with. After consuming it by the bowlful for a week (I'd forgotten how delicious applesauce was!) I hunkered down and set out to find a unique recipe to bake it in. While surfing the net I came across a recipe for applesauce bars. It looked delicious but the cinnamon and nutmeg screamed fall to me. Luckily yesterday was unseasonably cool. We turned on our pretty gas fireplace in the early evening and I excitedly went about preparing our favourite cool weather dinner that we haven't had for months, Balsamic Chicken. While reaching for an onion in the fridge I glanced at my giant tub of applesauce and saw an opportunity. Warm weather was due back soon, so I decided to bake a little fall for dessert that evening.

Fall tastes really yummy.

Don't tell summer.  ;-)

Applesauce Cake
adapted from Allrecipes

Ingredients:

  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of butter softened or canola oil or butter substitute
  • 1 cup of whole wheat AP flour
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp of ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
  • 1 cup of applesauce
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350F
  • Mix the egg, brown sugar, and butter together in a large bowl until smooth. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and spices to the bowl and stir. Once the batter starts to look dry add the applesauce. The applesauce will add immediate moisture. Mix well until batter is smooth.
  • Pour into a prepared 9 inch cake pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
  • Cool in pan on a rack and sprinkle with powdered sugar. 
  • This cake is light, moist and full of just the right about of spice...enjoy!
Applesauce Cake