Friday, August 26, 2011

Abita Purple Haze Review

Abita Brewing Company's Purple Haze
Abita Brewing Company's Purple Haze is one of the beers we picked up on our World Market shopping spree. I loved the name and the fact that it was brewed with fresh raspberries so I just had to get a bottle to try.  The brew is crafted from pilsner and wheat malts and Mt. Hood hops. The water used is artisan water from Abita Springs Louisiana, the spring the brewery is named after. Yes this is a Louisiana beer! The brewery location is 30 miles north of New Orleans. Its been around awhile too...25 years to be exact as it was born in my year, 1986. (I'm still waiting on my birthday though.)

So what do I think of this Louisiana raspberry beer?

Well I really wanted to love this beer but I didn't. There was a slight whiff of raspberry but that was about it. The colour was light amber, not purple in any way. There was no raspberry flavor and the chunks of raspberry that the label said I might find were disappointingly non-existent. The beer had low hops, which I love but it also had high carbonation, which I hate.

To be perfectly honest, this beer tastes like Budweiser with a raspberry dropped in it.  And by that I mean it tastes like a cheap, mass produced beer. There is some flavor in it but nothing distinguishable or significant enough to call it a fruit infused beer.

This beer is not terrible but its not great. I'd take a Ruby over this any day.

Score: 2/5

Abita Purple Haze