Monday, August 29, 2011

Healthier Chocolate Carrot Cake

Healthy Chocolate Carrot Cake
I love cake. I love veggies. I love chocolate. I love low-fat.

This cake has all of that and guess what? It tastes fabulous.

This Chocolate Carrot Cake was inspired by the absence of zucchini in my fridge. You see, zucchini is in season right now but the local grocery stores I frequent seem to have forgotten that. All the zucchini I`ve seen lately has been expensive or looks like tiny sad looking pickles. When I go shopping next week maybe I'll find some...fingers crossed. The reason I was looking for cheap plentiful zucchini is that I really wanted to make chocolate zucchini bread.

Yesterday my craving couldn't wait a day longer. I had to make some kind of chocolate loaf. Peering into my crisper I then saw them. 2 carrots. Chocolate Carrot Cake was born.

Healthier Chocolate Carrot Cake
I made this recipe healthier by substituting unsweetened applesauce for the oil. The blogger I got this recipe from said that they had already reduced the sugar. I was tempted to reduce it more but didn't and I'm glad because any less sweet and it would no longer be cake. This cake is moist, slightly sweet and oh so chocolaty. I will be making this again and again! Take that zucchini!

There is a cup and a half of carrot in this cake and they definitely count towards your daily servings. So dig in and don't feel guilty when you devour half of it in one sitting. I know I didn't ;-)

Healthier Chocolate Carrot Cake
from Mochachocolata Rita

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup and 2 tbsp applesauce
  • 3/4 cup white granular sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup of AP flour
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 & 1/2 cups grated carrots
  • handful of chocolate chips as a topping
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9" loaf pan.
  2. Cream the applesauce, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. (I used my kitchenaid standmixer)
  3. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat together until smooth. Stir in the carrots.
  5. Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake for 30- 40 mins until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for an hour before serving.
Healthier Chocolate Carrot Cake