Saturday, August 27, 2011

Healthy Baked Oatmeal

Healthy Baked Oatmeal
Healthy Baked Oatmeal
I love baked oatmeal. When I lived at my parents house I made it all the time using a recipe I found in some random Christmas themed food magazine. The recipe was called Amish Baked Oatmeal and it literally tasted like you were eating a bowl of soft, warm, crispy edged, crumbled oatmeal cookies. Since I began my healthy eating kick over 2 years ago I have avoided the recipe. You see it tasted like oatmeal cookies because it basically was a recipe for oatmeal cookies; chock full of massive amounts of sugar, eggs and melted butter. Eating that much sugar in the am is not a good way to start off the day.

So I avoided baked oatmeal like a plague until recently when I started experimenting with healthy oatmeal cookies...the no sugar, no eggs, no butter kind. (I've almost perfected that recipe and it should appear on the blog soon, especially since my sister in visiting next week!) We eat oatmeal for breakfast I'd say on average 4 days a week. The other day when I was eating oatmeal for the third day in a row (we try to avoid that as we want a good un-strained relationship with oats) I decided that if I can make a healthy oatmeal cookie, I can make some healthy baked oatmeal.

I found this recipe for Cookie Dough Oatmeal on Chocolate Covered Katie and slightly adapted it to make it more my style and in the style of Amish Baked Oatmeal. It's very similar to that recipe and I think, incredibly delicious. It is also a lovely break from the monotony of a bowl full of oatmeal. The texture is soft oatmeal cookie-like and moist with to-die-for crispy edges! Yum!

Healthy Baked Oatmeal
adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie

serves 3 on its own or 4 as an addition to something else

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups of rolled oats
  • 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 cup of soy milk
  • 1-4 tbsp of agave
  • 1-4 tbsp of canola oil 
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
**optional additions
  • 1 tsp of cinnamon and 3/4 cup of raisins (shown in pictures)
  • 1 tsp of cinnamon and 3/4 cup of diced apples
  • 1 cup of blueberries or other berry or chopped dried fruit
  • 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of chocolate chips

Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients together and pour into a prepared loaf pan. You could use a 8" square or round cake pan but watch the oatmeal carefully as it may need shorter or longer to bake.
  2. Bake at 360F for 40 minutes. Broil on high for 3-5 minutes after that for a crispy top and edges. 
Healthy Baked Oatmeal with cinnamon and raisins.