Sunday, August 14, 2011

Poached Egg Sandwich and a Poach Pod Review

Healthy Poached Egg Sandwich made with Poach Pods

Last week during my vacation on the Oregon Coast, the girls and I snuck away for the day and headed off to the outlets. A pair of boots, Harry and David and two kitchen stores later, I headed back to the resort with my goodies. In one of my shopping bags was a pair of poach pods. I love poached eggs but have never tried to make them due to the fact that there is often a lot of egg wasteage until you get the technique down. You know me, food waste is a criminal offense in this household.

When I saw these little poach pods I knew I had to get them. Crack an egg into the pod and place the pod in simmering water until the egg reaches desired doneness. Then just simply scoop the egg out with a spoon and enjoy the healthy simple pleasure of a poached egg. These little pods are gold!

This morning I decided to try out the poach pods and make some healthy poached egg sandwiches. I baked some of my homemade buns last night so I topped those with a poached egg, fresh salsa, sliced tomato, baby spinach, and a slice of cheddar cheese - for Shawn, not me. The sandwiches were the perfect Sunday morning brunch. Fancy and delicious with little effort. 30 minutes later we were out on our tandem bike enjoying the river-trail on a gorgeous sunny Sunday.

Poach Pods - make egg poaching a breeze

Poached Egg Sandwich (Using Poach Pods)
by Kaitlyn McFadden

serves 2

Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs 
  • 4 tbsp of your favorite salsa
  • 4 slices of tomato
  • 2 slices of cheddar cheese
  • handful of baby spinach
  • 2 fresh baked buns or english muffins (recipe for buns here)
  • 2 poach pods

Directions:
  1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. 
  2. You may lightly oil your poach pods (just a drop of canola oil will do). Then crack one egg into each pod. Place the pods in the simmering pot of water and cover with a  lid. Set kitchen timer for 5 minutes.
  3. Prepare the buns while the eggs are poaching. Slice buns in half and on the bottom slice place 2 tbsp of salsa, top the salsa with spinach and top the spinach with a slice of cheese. 
  4. When the egg is cooked - after 5 minutes the egg should have a solid egg white and soft yolk - scoop the egg carefully out of the pod with a large soup spoon and place the egg on top of the cheese. Top with two slices of tomato and the top half of the bun. 
Poached egg sandwich and a view of my new stainless steel counter top.