Monday, September 19, 2011

Chocolate Fudge Cake with Tofu!

Chocolate Fudge Cake made with tofu!
Hello chocolate lovers!

Today I bring to you Chocolate Fudge Cake made a tad healthier with the help of Tofu. Yet another attempt by me to make dessert more nutritious yet just as yummy!

What I discovered while finding the best ever recipe for fudge brownies, was that eggs are the trick to a dense, fudgy, rich dessert. So how do you even attempt to make a decadently fudgy dessert without the help of eggs? Well according to food bloggers out there tofu can help with that!

I tried a couple recipes that use tofu as an egg/butter substitute and I was very disappointed. They were bland, not chocolaty enough and tasted of tofu and chalk. Bleh! 

So I decided to trust my instincts and come up with a recipe on my own. I used ALOT of cocoa powder, added jam instead of sugar (to help mask the tofu), and threw in 2 handfuls of chocolate chips. Below is my end result. 

I dare you to give this recipe a try! ;-)

Chocolate Fudge Cake made with Tofu
by Kaitlyn McFadden


Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup of cocoa powder
  • 1 cup of AP flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 oz of silken tofu or 1/4 of the package
  • 1 cup of jam (I used maironberry blackberry jam)
  • 2/3 cup of applesauce
  • 1/4 cup of soy milk
  • 2 tbsp of canola oil
  • 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup of chocolate chips

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Mix the cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl
  3. Add the tofu, jam, applesauce, soy milk, canola and vanilla to your food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir together. Fold in chocolate chips. 
  5. Pour into a prepared 9 inch cake pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool on a rack and refrigerate. (I like to cook for 30 minutes so the center isn't fully set. Then I refrigerate until firm which takes a few hours or overnight.)
If you slice this into 8 large pieces (and they are big!) then each piece is about 300 calories; about 200 calories less on average per serving than a comparably sized flourless chocolate cake. The jam and the chocolate chips are the highest calorie and most unhealthy ingredients so if your sweet tooth will let you reduce them than your cake will be even healthier!

Chocolate Fudge cake made with tofu.