Thursday, September 15, 2011

Ode to Fall and Blueberry Muffins

Blueberry Muffins - a last farewell to summer
I can feel fall in the air. It's still sunny and warm outside but there is a bit of a nip in the breeze that warns of cooler days to come. The end of summer is always bittersweet to me. I'm sad that the warm, lazy days of summer are gone but I'm also enthusiastic about the beginning of fall, my favourite season. My university years are only 2 years behind me and I still view the approach of autumn as the beginning of a new year. It's a time to set goals for the year, and reevaluate and reorganize your life...and that overflowing closet.

I turn 25 in a month, I'm also now happily married and living in another country. My life has changed considerably and after Labour Day I knew somethings needed a shake up:

  1. The short shorts have seen their last summer; I'll be wearing some an inch or two longer next season.
  2. I may not be able to work yet but I need to get out there and start meeting people so I have more options when I finally can work; I have my first interview for a volunteer position next week! 
  3. Expand my cooking skills; I'm going to buy supplies for cake and candy making and I'm also considering a cake decorating class.
  4. Focus on my blog; I'm aiming for 5 posts a week consistently.
  5. Clean out my tiny closet; I've rid myself of all my pre-weight loss clothes with the exception of 1 pair of black jeans that I only had the chance to wear twice (maybe when I'm 40 I'll be a size 10 again). 

So yes, as you can see, autumn is important to me. It's a time of refection, renewal, cozy sweaters, cute leather boots, birthdays, pumpkins, bonfires, cinnamon, candy, warm muffins for breakfast and delicious turkey dinners.

Fall is awesome!

Blueberry Muffins
by Kaitlyn McFadden

makes 6 regular sized muffins


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup of AP flour
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 2 tbsp of canola oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup of blueberries (thawed if frozen)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400F
  2. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl; with the exception of the blueberries. Form a well in the center.
  3. In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients together and pour into the dry ingredients. Mix until just moist; do not over mix!
  4. Fold in the blueberries
  5. Bake for 17-18 minutes.