Monday, October 31, 2011

Candy Bark and a Special Halloween Treat!

Candy Bark
Happy Halloween! As an adult I no longer get super excited about halloween. I don't really like dressing up, the overcrowded clubs and all those obnoxious people who think they can get away with being silly just because they are wearing a mask. You know the ones! Sheesh!

Frankly I can't wait for the day AFTER halloween because that's when all the leftover halloween candy goes on sale!!!

I have the perfect recipe that will help you use up all that extra Halloween candy or put your recently purchased 75% off candy to use!

It's candy bark or more specifically Halloween candy bark. I love it. It's the perfect marriage of sweet, salty and chewy. Plus is looks great, so much more fancy than a bucket of variously packaged candy bars.

I haven't bought any candy yet so I had to use what I had in my pantry plus some rejects from our vending machines. On my bark I included milk duds, Reese's pieces, sixlets, almonds, and peanuts. I was out of raisins and I would have added those too if I had any. I'm thinking chopped snickers or milky way bars would be fabulous additions.

Another reason why we haven't bought any Halloween candy yet is that on Saturday we purchased a different kind of treat for ourselves.....a brand spanking new 2012 Honda Insight Hybrid! We picked it up this morning and are still basking in the aura of having our fuel bill reduced by two thirds! It's a fabulous car, gets amazing fuel mileage, handles like a sports car and we got it for $5,000 less than a 2011 PriusII! Yay for saving money and finally having a car that I can drive! Happy Halloween!
Our new 2012 Honda Insight Hybrid
Our new 2012 Honda Insight Hybrid

Candy Bark

Halloween Candy Bark
by Kaitlyn McFadden

Ingredients:

  • About 3 cups of chocolate chips
  • Halloween Candy!
  • Nuts
  • Dried Fruit
  • Seeds


Directions:
  1. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl at 1 minute increments on 50% power. Stir chocolate chips and keep heating them until they are smooth and glossy.
  2. Pour chocolate onto a wax paper lined baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon or a spatula spread out the chocolate forming thin layer. 
  3. Evenly distribute your chosen toppings on top of the chocolate. Press down to lock all the candies into the melted chocolate. 
  4. Place in the refrigerator to firm up and once firm, break it into pieces. Store in the fridge as the chocolate is not tempered.