Monday, October 24, 2011

Plum Crisp - Double Crusted Deliciousness

Plum Crisp - Double Crusted
Never has there been a recipe that made me so head over heals crazy for it than this recipe.

It all started in September. There was a glut of gorgeous plums on the market for cheap and we wanted to take advantage of it. We purchased a 5 pound box of black Italian plums. Looking back now we should have bought more, but that was before my canning epiphany.

Our favourite way to eat plums is to wash them and bite in. But holy moly did we have a lot to get through. One late September evening I was taking inventory of my fridge and noticed the giant pile of plums that had been there for a few weeks and panicked. There is nothing I fear more than wasted food as wasted food is wasted money. So I decided to make the one recipe I know that uses a lot of fresh fruit....a crisp.

My husband and I have always loved crisps. We are of the slim minority that don't like pie. Take the filling out of the pie and put it on a plate and we will probably eat it but that buttery, floury crust?! Bleh! We think it's just gross. We love crisps because you get yummy apple/blueberry/marionberry/stonefruit pie without the buttery soggy crust and with a crisp, sweet, healthy crust made from good-for-you-oats.

Crisps are simply lovely baked fruits with crumbled oatmeal cookies on top. How can you not love that?

So that night with my oats and plums I made a crisp. A scrumptious, to-die-for double crusted crisp. Two days later I made it again and one week after than I made it for the third time. I did not stop after that. I simply traded the plums for apples. :)

Happy October! Now go make a crisp so I don't feel so bad about the amount of my own crisp intake of late.


Double Crusted Plum Crisp


Plum Crisp
by Kaitlyn McFadden

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup of  rolled oats (plus an extra 1/3 cup)
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp of cardamom (optional)
  • 1 stick of butter or butter substitute melted
  • 3 cups of pitted sliced plums
  • 1/4 cup of sugar *optional - can use less or omit to taste.
  • 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp of lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp of cornstarch
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Mix the 1 cup of oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and cardamom together in a large bowl. Add the butter and stir, breakup large chunks until all the oats and flour are moist. Take half of the oat mixture and press into the bottom of a loaf pan. Add the remaining 1/3 cup of oats to the remaining oat mixture and mix together with you hands in the large bowl. Set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl mix the plums, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and vanilla. Stir until the plums are evenly coated. Spoon plum mixture onto the oat mixture crust. Pat down plums lightly to smooth them out. Reserve any extra liquid from the plum bowl.
  4. Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture on top of the plums. Pat down. Drizzle any remaining plum liquid on top of the top layer of oats. 
  5. Bake for 45 minutes and let cool for 10-20 minutes before serving.