Friday, November 4, 2011

Pumpkin Scones

Pumpkin Scone - a Starbucks Clone!
So I've heard a lot of the bakeries are saying goodbye to pumpkin baked goods and ushering in all things cinnamon, spice and peppermint for the holidays. If you are like me and finally got around to cooking your Halloween pumpkin then you don't care because you now have your own supply of pumpkin puree to bake with. If you don't then head out to your fav grocery store and pick up some canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling), you might even be able to find some real pumpkins left over from Halloween! Either way you shouldn't let the bakeries decide when you get to consume pumpkin flavoured products!

A few years ago I purchased a pumpkin scone from Starbucks. It was soooooo delicious. I'm not really a scone person but I find pumpkin scones so yummy I can eat them plain. 

In honor of those delicious Starbucks scones I decided that I would make scones out of part of my pumpkin puree. The problem was I've never made scones before and had no idea where to start. So I searched on google and discovered tons of recipes. I picked the one that looked good to me and got baking. 

These scones turned out wonderful. Crisp and golden brown on the outside and soft and warm on the inside. They had just the right amount of spice and the cardamom I added made them devine! I warmed up some cream cheese and mixed in some vanilla and a dash of sugar to serve with them but once again I found I preferred them plain.

Pumpkins Scones
slightly adapted from Sweet Peas Kitchen

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup and 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
  • 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
  • 3 tablespoons low fat sour cream/yogurt
  • 1 large egg

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with fit the paddle attachment, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and ginger. Add the butter. Mix on medium speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, there shouldn't be large pieces of butter
  3. In a medium bowl whisk together the pumpkin, sour cream and egg. 
  4. Stir the wet ingredients by hand  into the dry ingredients, and form the dough into a ball. Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a 1-inch thick circle. Cut into 10 triangle shaped pieces.
  5. Bake for 14-16 minutes and let cool on a rack. Top with spiced cream cheese, butter, a simple powdered sugar glaze, or eat them plain!
  6. Freeze any uneaten scones and simply defrost in the microwave to enjoy them just as fresh as the day you made them!