Thursday, November 10, 2011

Sweet Potato Curry

Sweet Potato Curry 
It's sweet potato season and I just can't seem to get enough of them! I adore sweet potatoes because they are so healthy and yummy and therefore I'm always looking for new ways to cook with them. I was in the mood for curry a few evenings ago and wanted to do vegetarian. I've seen potato curries before so I thought I'd give sweet potato curry a try. The end result was delish! I hogged all the left overs and ate it for three days straight!

I made naan to serve with it but I'm not quite happy with my naan recipe yet so you'll have to wait on that. Shawn also enjoyed this curry with a spoonful or two of my Curried Apple Chutney on the side. I passed, finding the curry sweet and flavourful enough for my taste.

Sweet Potato Curry
by Kaitlyn McFadden

Serves 4 

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp canola oil
  • 1 onion diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic minced
  • 2 tbsp of ginger
  • 3 tbsp of yellow curry powder
  • 1  14oz can light coconut milk (I use Trader Joes)
  • 2 tablespoons of red curry paste (I used Thai because that's what I always have on hand)
  • 1 tsp of sriracha sauce (optional)
  • 1 large sweet potato cubed
  • 1 cup cashews or peanuts
  • 1 14oz can of chickpeas

Directions:
  1. In a large deep skillet heat up the oil and saute the onion for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and curry powder and continue to cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
  2. Add the coconut milk, curry paste and sriracha and mix until well combined and the paste is no longer lumpy. Bring to a boil. Add the cubed sweet potato and reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid. Cook until potato is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
  3. When the sweet potato is tender stir in the nuts and chickpeas. Simmer for 5 minutes longer with the lid on. Garnish with scallions, parsley or cilantro and serve with brown rice or/and naan.