|Dutch Baby Pancake with Fresh Blueberry Sauce|
This super simple breakfast brings me so much joy! It’s quick, easy, and dirt cheap but when you pull that golden fluffy giant pancake out of the oven and pour on some fresh blueberry sauce, the presentation and ‘wow’ factor is priceless. My pictures unfortunately do not do this dish justice. So don’t judge by my bad, I’d say impatient to eat, photography skills.
This recipe makes one large Dutch baby perfect for a large cast iron skillet. This can also be made in a glass 9 x 13 inch casserole pan. Just melt the butter in the microwave and spread to coat the entire pan.
The recipe serves four and you’ll make enough sauce for waffles or crepes the next morning!
|Dutch Baby puffed up - fresh from the oven.|
By Kaitlyn McFadden
· 2 tbsp of butter
· 4 eggs
· 1 cup of milk (we use soy)
· 1 cup of AP flour (we use whole wheat)
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Heat up your large cast iron skillet and melt the butter, swirling it around to cover the pan.
- Mix the remaining ingredients well until a smooth batter is formed. Pour into the skillet and bake for 15-20 minutes. You know its ready when the edges are browned and the center has puffed up. For me that takes about 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately cut and serve
By Kaitlyn McFadden
*This is a pretty flexible recipe. Add more water the fresher your blueberries are ie. Recently purchased frozen blueberries have less ‘ice’ on them than that bag that’s been sitting in your freezer for 3 months :)
|Sub blueberries for raspberries and you have Raspberry Sauce!|
· 2 cups of frozen blueberries
· ¼ cup of brown sugar, or less depending on your taste
· 1 tsp of vanilla extract
· Splash of balsamic vinegar.
· 1 tbsp – ¼ cup water depending on how frozen or fresh your blueberries are.
· 1 tbsp of cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp of water
- Add all ingredients but the water and the cornstarch to a small sauce pan. Heat until simmering.
- Add some water if your blueberries don’t look very saucy/juicy.
- Taste and add more sugar or vanilla as needed.
- Add cornstarch and simmer until thickened.