Thursday, May 3, 2012

Irish Cream Chocolate Cake

I'm back!

Tall delicious Irish Cream Chocolate Cake
Irish Cream Chocolate Cake
I know its been super long since I've posted but my 50-60 hour weeks are done, I've vacationed all those tax returns out of my system and we've picked yet another house and put in yet another offer. Hopefully this one sticks. I've found the whole home purchasing process to be incredibly stressful. Shawn bought the place we are in the day he met me so I've never had to deal with the whole negotiation process; in sum, I don't like it. We've given up once and I've given up twice but the allure of a second bedroom keeps beckoning us.

When I'm feeling tired or stressed two things really seem to help: exercise and chocolate. The fact that I've found the most amazing chocolate cake recipe probably hasn't been the best thing as it's much more alluring to choose cake over the gym.

This recipe has 1 and a half cups of Irish cream in it!!!! Yes you read that correctly, 1 and a half cups! So for those of you that enjoy that 'third vice' this cake has plenty of that. It bakes for an hour so I'm pretty sure all the alcohol is baked out but the Irish cream flavour remains and is strong enough that you taste it in every delicious bite.


This recipe is a  MUST try. It’s perfect for a special occasion, Sunday dinner or a Friday date night. I even subbed out part of the butter which lowered the fat content without compromising the taste or texture. I’m going to sub all of the butter next time I make this. I’d shy away from subbing the eggs though…for some reason I think this recipe deserves to have eggs in it


Irish Cream Chocolate Cake dressed up for St. Patrick's Day


Irish Cream Chocolate Cake
From FoodIsMyLife

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup of cocoa powder (use natural cocoa powder not dutch-processed)
  • 1.5 cups brown sugar
  • 1 cup brewed strong coffee, can be hot or at room temperature
  • 1 cup butter ( I subbed unsweetened applesauce)
  • 1.5 cups Irish Cream (don't be shy, I used a little bit more)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 320F. Grease your  8.5 inch width by 4 inch high Dutch oven and line the bottom with parchment paper.
  2. Mix together flour and baking soda and set aside in a small bowl.
  3. Heat the cocoa powder, sugar, coffee and butter in a sauce pan on medium heat. Heat until butter is melted and cocoa powder and sugar dissolved. Pour the cocoa-coffee into a large mixing bowl or stand mixer and let it rest until just warm to the touch.
  4. Add the Irish cream to the chocolate mixture and stir. Whisk in the eggs one by one followed by the vanilla.
  5. Add in the flour slowly and whisk gently until all the flour has been incorporated. The cake batter will be thin and bubbly (because of the reaction between the baking soda and the cocoa powder).
  6. Pour the cake batter into the prepared Dutch oven. Tap the pot on your counter top gently 3 to 5 times to remove excess air bubbles.
  7. Bake the cake for 1 hour. Cover the top of the cake with the Dutch oven lid and continue baking for 30 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake come out with a few crumbs.
  8. Place the Dutch oven on a rack and cool completely.
  9. Slice and serve